Spice Rack


For those of you that enjoy going over the top, here is a day to feel in good company. I have owned this notorious spice rack for several years (they used to cost an arm and leg, and are now no longer available). I have filled it with spices from Dean and Deluca, all with fantastic labels and placed alphabetically (small tins first, then larger ones on the bottom). The spices range from the usual, i.e. nutmeg, mustard powder, dill and paprika to some unusual ones that I have used only occasionally like nigella which is used in India and the Middle East as a spice and condiment, pasilla powder which is used in Mexican cooking as it gives a bit of heat to sauces, salsa, stews and soups, and lastly ground fenugreek which lends the taste of burnt maple, sweet yet bitter with a hint of celery. I also have six different kinds of peppercorns depending on what my recipe calls for (black, four-pepper blend, green, pink, hot red, tellicherry and white). I also have black and white truffle powder which lends and earthy flavor to pasta dishes and sauces. Lastly, when I am in a pinch, I have the old standard of dried sage, thyme, rosemary, mint, etc. All in all, there are 70 tins to please any cooks wild imagination. I know I have never been without a spice in all the years I have owned it. For me, this is the kind of kontent I like to keep my life filled with.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa. I want a spice rack like that. Awesome.

    Leigh Ann Otte
    Managing Editor
    My Family Doctor magazine

    ReplyDelete
  2. that spice rack is bigger than my house !

    ReplyDelete