Topiary



Topiary is the art of creating sculpture through the medium of clipped trees, shrubs and vines. I have been fascinated with the art of topiary as it combines gardening and art in one package. I started out many years ago with a small sphere which I trained an English Ivy on and my collection grew from there. There are so many forms, the imagination can run wild.

My daughter Hadass - whose name is derived from the Hebrew word for Myrtle as the Myrtle tree blooms all year round, stands for abundant life. Much to my amazement after I began doing topiary - I discovered myrtle was a perfect medium. The tiny blooms are wonderful addtions to the tiny leaves of the 12" standard I trained.

You can do topiary with various herbs, such as rosemary and bay laurel.

Arborvitae as well as boxwood are common mediums for topiary in the outdoor arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment