Baking Tools 101: Pie Beans

Blind baking, the process of pre-baking your pie crust so you it can be filled with a filling that is either cooked on the stove or fresh fruit requires you to weigh down your pie crust while it initially bakes so your pie crust doesn't become a shrinking violet.  A lot of companies want to try and sell you expensive, ceramic beads but years ago I decided to detour the expense to my wallet and I purchased some inexpensive dried beans.  15 years later as you can see in the above picture, those dried beans are still going strong and I am positive will provide me a a lifetime of wonderfully-baked pie crusts. I keep them stored in a vintage glass jar on the counter since I believe they deserve a place of honor in my kitchen - they have definitely earned their life tenure.

No comments:

Post a Comment