Citrus Curd Mousse Tart

I am always trying to find ways to remix the known into an updated version.  Here I took half of my lemon curd recipe, but I used up lemons AND oranges I had to create a citrus curd.  See recipes below.  Once that was cooled, I heated up the juice of one lemon with one package of unflavored gelatin to activate the gelatin.  I did this because I am going to be combining the curd with whipped cream and I want the gelatin to keep the mixture stable.  I brought the lemon/gelatin mixture to room temperature and added it to the curd.  Then I whipped 2 cups of heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks, then folded it into the curd with a whisk.  Next, place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to begin to set.

In the meantime I made my pate sucre recipe since we are using a sweet filling.  I made it in a quiche pan to give us some visual interest.  Let cool completely.

I place a large star tip inside the corner of an XL sealable plastic bag, fill it with the curd mousse, then pipe it into the cooled tart shell.  Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours to set.

Here is the lemon curd recipe that always works for me:

3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 4-5 lemons)
Zest of 2 lemons
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter

Place lemon juice and zest in a small bowl to soften zest, set aside.
Meanwhile, in a nonreactive heatproof bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until well combined. Add lemon juice and zest and continue whisking until just combined.
Set bowl over (but not touching) simmering water. Continuously stir mixture with a whisk until mixture has thickened to a pudding-like texture, about 10 minutes.
Remove bowl from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Strain mixture (if desired) through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Cover lemon curd with a sheet of plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap onto the surface of the lemon curd to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until set, at least four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment