My Grandmother's 'You're Special' Bars


Deliciously easy and addictive were my Grandmother's 'You're Special' Bars.  She called them this because it was her way of letting us know how special we were to her.  I remember being elated when I saw her showing up at the house with these - or seeing them sitting on her vintage Formica counter waiting to be sliced.  She normally made them in a 9X13 pan, but I opt to make them in two 4X11 tart pans with removable bottoms - that way they can be easily cut.  One pan always goes to the party I am invited to, and the other stays at home - safe and sound for my return.  I hope you enjoy my Grandmother's heirloom recipe as much as I still do.

In a 8 qt. stockpot bring the following to a boil, stirring occasionally so it does not burn:
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Once it comes to a boil and is combined - remove from heat and stir in one box of Special K cereal.  Mix well to make sure it is all incorporated.  Place in a pan that has been prepared with cooking spray to assure easier release.  You can put it all in one 9X13 pan or whatever shape you desire.  Spray spatula with cooking spray and press down into pan to create an even layer.  I usually spray my hands afterward with cooking spray and press the layer down with my hands to even it out.  Set aside.

In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, place one-12 oz. bag of chocolate chips and one-12 oz. bag butterscotch chips.  Stir frequently until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and set aside for five minutes to allow it to cool and slightly thicken (this makes it easier to spread).  Spread with a spatula on top of peanut butter/cereal mixture.  Allow to set for at least four hours or overnight.  Do not attempt to cut them any earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment