BLT Pasta Salad

I am always inspired to try and look at favorite foods in different ways, and this is no exception.  The classic BLT meets pasta in a salad that is like a new comfort food.  It is essential in this recipe to use good-quality, thick-cut bacon so it can stand out and compete with the various textures of this dish.  Also, for the 'dressing' so to speak - real mayonnaise is essential.   I believe the salad suffers with light versions.  I always tell people 'you had me at mayonnaise....'   I mix the hot pasta with the mayonnaise so it will soak it up and create the dressing for this recipe -

1 lb pasta of choice - I try to use interesting varities here
1 lb. bacon - cooked crisp and chopped, rendered fat reserved
1 onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes - halved
2 cups mayonnaise
6-8 oz. chopped Romaine
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste
croutons - if desired for garnish

In a large bowl place 2 cups mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.  Cook pasta according to manufacturers directions in a pot of salted water.  Drain and place into bowl with mayonnaise, stirring to combine well - set aside.

In a fry pan over medium heat, add all of the rendered bacon grease, onions and garlic cooking for five minutes.  Pour over pasta and set aside, allowing to cool completely.

Add chopped bacon, tomatoes, Romaine and Parmesan, stir well to combine.  Season with salt and pepper if  desired.  Serve cold or at room temperature with croutons on top if desired.

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! Had I read that earlier I would not have beef stew in the oven right now, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this salad this week. I WANT SUMMER!!! even if it has to come in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't wait. I made it today. Sooo delish!

    ReplyDelete