Apple Pie Waffles

I created this recipe because I had an abundance of apples and wanted to find something inventive to do with them.  My daughter was having a bunch of girls overnight and I figured buttermilk waffles would be easy for breakfast, so I decided to try my hand at making a apple pie filling to serve over them. It could replace the syrup most people drench their waffles with and add some fun.  I used the buttermilk waffles recipe from here on my website.  The recipe below is for the apple pie topping.

5 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

In bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, salt, sugars and cinnamon - then place into a pan and bring to a simmer over medium low heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine the melted butter and flour to form a makeshift roux (rue), then add to the apple mixture and bring to a simmer again and cook for five more minutes.  Then serve over waffles.
2 tbsp. flour

No comments:

Post a Comment