Pierogi Washday Stew

I am always looking for ways to make meals with ground beef, and I am a huge fan of the stew.  So, here is a new rendition of what my Grandmother called her Washday Stew - only I added pierogi to it.  Pierogi are found in the frozen food section by the tater tots/french fries.  Here I chose a potato and four cheese blend, then I put it into the refrigerator as I want them thawed to make this meal.  They should last in the refrigerator for a week.

2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, sliced
1 16 oz. box potato/cheese pierogi
1/2 - 1 lb.bag frozen vegetable mix
3 cans beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
Olive Oil

In a 5 qt. pot add oil to the bottom over medium high heat until it shimmers.  Lay four pierogi into hot oil and fry on each side until browned, adding additional oil if necessary.  Place onto plate and set aside.  Repeat until all pierogi are browned.

Add onions and ground beef to pot, cooking until meat is no longer pink - then drain.  Place beef back into pot and add vegetables, flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning - cooking until flour has been absorbed by the mixture.  Add chicken stock and bring to simmer, then add pierogi and stir gently as to not break them up.  Simmer for 2 minutes - taste to adjust seasoning, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment