Landyn's Barbacoa Tacos

This is a new comfort food idea for you, talk about dummied-down cooking.  My Cuisinart slow cooker makes light work of this dish, the only thing left is to saute up the vegetables at the end, slice some limes and crumble up your queso fresco - you are ready for a fantastic fiesta or day of grazing.  I suggest you make the barbacoa the day before just to give yourself a little extra time and not stress out.   I used dried cilantro as fresh cilantro tastes like soap to me, where I can use dried and not have that issue.   This recipe comes from my friend Landyn, which I adapted somewhat to suit my style of cooking - I hope she enjoys it.

Place 5-6 lbs. well-marbled beef roast in a 6 qt. slow cooker.

In a food processor or blender, process until pureed:

1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/4 c. dried cilantro
1 red onion, chopped
1 head garlic
1 tbsp. salt
4 limes, juiced
1/4 c. vinegar

Pour over beef and add 4 c. beef stock, cover and let cook for 10 hours (should cover how long you are gone at work).  Remove the beef and place into a bowl to cool so you can shred it with your fingers when cool.  Pour liquid into a wide-mouthed sauce pan (so the liquid can reduce easily), bring to a medium boil and allow to reduce for one hour.  Shred meat and place back into slow cooker - when liquid has reduced for an hour, pour back over meat, cover and place on warm.

In a saute pan over medium heat place
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion, 1/2" slice
1/2 red pepper, 1/2" slice
1/2 orange pepper, 1/2" slice
1/2 yellow pepper, 1/2' slice

Saute until onion and peppers soften, roughly 5-7 minutes. Serve on top of barbacoa along with crumbled queso fresco and a little fresh lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment