Lemon-lavender Poundcakes


I love the versatility I get out of my Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Drop Biscuit Pan.  From making brownies in the oven or grill, to cornbread.  One of the reasons I like it is because I get a miniature cake shape out of it, the size of a muffin but in the shape of a cake.  We eat with our eyes first and I am always trying to find what is already around us, but reinvent it.  Here I took my lemon poundcake recipe and added in lavender.  I love this combination - it is bright and refreshing.  I use cake flour in this recipe to keep it light, you could use all-purpose flour although you will not get the same result.  Also, you could glaze them if you desire - I prefer them just as they are.

2 lemons

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar, preferably superfine
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream, regular - not light, at room temperature
2 tablespoons dried lavender buds

Preheat oven to 325F.  I prep my biscuit pan by spraying it with Bak-klene (this is what I use).  Zest four of the lemons, and place into a bowl with the sugar.  Juice the lemons into a liquid measuring cup. I use the Orange-X juicer as I can put a liquid measuring cup underneath it and it is super easy to clean.

Using a whisk, stir your flour to 'sift' it.  This aerates it so you do not overflour your recipe.  In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and lavender buds - then set aside.


In the bowl of your mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar, making sure to scrape the bowl so that it is fully combined.  Add one egg at a time, beating until it is comined - then the next egg.  Turn mixer on to low and add in the dry ingredients, then the sour cream and juice.
Divide between wells in biscuit pan and bake until a toothpick/tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove cakes from pan and set on cooling rack until you are ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment