TVP Red Beans - Textured Vegetable Protein

TVP, or textured vegetable protein as it is also know is a wonderful substitute for vegans or vegan-curious to sample an alternative way to inspire your dinner table.  Manufactured from soy, it is packed with an amazing 12g of protein in every 1/4 cup and also provided a great source for iron, magnesium and phosphorus (although I am not sure what getting phosphorus in your diet does for you).  I will research that I can add that do this later in a post. 

What I love about this product is how easy it is to add to a variety of dishes to supplement your diet and it requires little cooking time.  It has a very mild taste which allows you to season it howevery you wish.  Here it is seasoned with chili powder and cumin to make a vegetarian version of red beans.  And just so I clarify for this recipe because when I started cooking I made the mistake of purchasing red kidney beans - those are not the same thing as red beans.  I always soak my beans overnight because then I can cook the dish whenever I want the next day.  Because the ratios are usually always the same, I take an 8 cup glass measuring cup, pour the package of dried beans in and fill it up to the 8 cup mark - you're done.

1 - 16 oz. bag dried red beans that have been soaked overnight
1 large onion chopped
1 head of garlic, sliced
8 cups water

Bring water to boil in a heavy pot, then add beans, onion and garlic.  Simmer for one hour, then add:

2 cups TVP - Textured Vegetable Protein
3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin

Continue simmering for 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.  Serve with rice or alone as I did here with a slice of buttered home made bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment