Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes

I love pancakes and waffles for breakfast and am always trying to think of a little something different to do with them.  Today I decided to add a twist and bring the buttermilk pancake and oatmeal together.  I make four large pancakes like you see here, buttering them on top and keeping them in the oven to stay warm - then  I brought them to the table stacked like a layer cake and we cut them into wedges.  I loved this idea so much, I think I am going to make pancakes this way all the time.  On a side note, I always let pancake and waffle batter rest for 15 minutes after I mix it - it seems to set and I always have more success.  I fry up all my batter and keep the rest in the refrigerator - then pop them in the toaster over the next couple days for an easy breakfast.

2 1/2 cups buttermilk
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup rolled oats

Combine buttermilk and melted butter in a bowl, whisking to combine well so all the little butter particles are distributed - then add your two eggs and beat well.  Add salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda - whisking well.  Finally add flour and rolled oats - whisking until slightly lumpy.  Set aside and let rest for 15 minutes.

Pour batter into heated pan and fry until golden brown - keep warm in 200 degree oven if desired.  Top with butter and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment