Pâtes de Fruits (pat-A fwee)

These candies have a very, fancy name yet are simply jellied fruit.  Depending on the type of fruit you are using to make them out of, you can choose to strain the seeds out or not.  I personally prefer not to, as I like the rustic nature of the finished product.

Recipe:
24 oz. Archer Farms frozen berry blend
12 oz. jar Archer Farms seedless raspberry jam
1 c. granulated sugar
1 box unflavored gelatin
1 c. water

You will need to prepare your pans.  I use two rectangular tart pans as I believe they are easier to unmold and slice.  You can easily use a 9X13 pan for this recipe as well.  With my tart pans, I place plastic wrap in between the removable bottom piece and the side form that holds the removable in place.  I then spray it with a non-stick cooking spray.  For a 9X13 pan, you would want to use a long sheet of wax paper that hangs of the long sides of the pan - and still spray the pan as well to ensure easy release.

You will want to make these in a stock pot or dutch oven since it promotes the reduction needed.  I will soften my gelatin with the 1 cup cold water in a mixing bowl as it has a handle for me to pour with.  I simply put the gelatin in the bowl and pour the water over it.  I then use a hand whisk to stir it together and break down any lumps - then set it aside.

In the large bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade add 24 oz. mixed berry blend, 12 oz. jar seedless raspberry jam and 1 cup sugar.  Turn on and let puree for two minutes.  Pour into dutch oven and bring to boil, stirring regularly.  Once it comes to a boil, set a timer for ten minutes.  Continue to stir regularly, making sure to get in the corner of the pan.  At about six minutes the mixture will begin to bubble differently and almost become goopy sounding.  When the time has expired, pour the berry mixture into the mixing bowl and hand whisk the mixture to fully incorporate the gelatin.

Pour the mixture evenly between pans and allow to come to room temperature.  Place in refrigerator and let chill for at least eight hours.  Slice into desired shapes and roll in granulated sugar - serve immeditately.  Only cut what you are going to serve right away as the sugar will begin to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment