Ginger & Mustard Carrots

This is one of those recipes where I know I have to rush to the computer and type up the recipe so I don't forget how I did it.  I took the flavors I normally associate when cooking carrots on the stove or in the oven and intermingled them into a pickled carrot.  I have to be honest, waiting until tomorrow is going to kill me so I can know how they will taste.  The end result will be posted tomorrow.  I purchased the carrots in this recipe from the local farmer's market so I could control how large they were and also cut the tops off to the length I desired.  I canned these in tall Weck cylindrical jars so the carrots would have the height I needed.

4 lbs. of baby carrots cleaned and divided between your canning jars.
Place into each jar the following:
1 tsp. chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 tsp. brown mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 fresh garlic clove, sliced

In a large pot add:
9 c. distilled water
6 c. white vinegar
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. kosher salt
1 oz. fresh ginger, sliced into coins
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Bring mixture to a boil and then pour into jars leaving 1/2" space at top - do not put fresh ginger coins into jars, remove these.  If you need to make more canning liquid, that's fine.  Cover jars that are filled and finish the others when the second batch of liquid is done.

Place sealed jars into a boiling water bath, making sure water is fully covering the tops (most canning bath pots will leave little room, don't fret) and cook for ten minutes.  Carefully remove the jars and allow them to fully cool.  When cool, turn them over to make sure seal is secure - if any seals are not - place into refrigerator and eat within two weeks.  You can store any others in cool, dry place for up to one year.   Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment