Heirloom Recipe Box

Sometimes life just gives you a 'high five' out of nowhere to show you that you are moving down the right path. I stopped over to visit my mother yesterday and she had found my grandmother's recipe box, which was filled to the brim with all the goodies I used to stand beside her and help to make. My grandmother Ellen is who taught me the joy of cooking. E, as I called her, was amazing in the kitchen, garden and home. I owe her for teaching me so many fantastic skills and she still brings a smile to my face whenever I think of her. Seeing the plastic jugs that flanked the top of the box brings me back to so many memories. E did not have much money, and I recall her always placing (with careful perfection) three chocolate chips on top of every one of her chocolate chip cookies.

As you can probably imagine, I was dumbfounded when my mother handed this to me. I could not wait to get home and rummage through this treasure chest and begin to imagine the amazing dishes I could prepare. It has inspired me to create a column in my blog called Heirlooms, recipes that stand the test of time.

I believe in light of where our world is at, it is time to get back to basics, and not worry so much about how to plate a dish - but how to put something in that dish period, something soothing that comforts the soul. I've never been terribly impressed by a $20 appetizer consisting of four shrimp topped one another drizzled with lime reduction and lychee syrup. Don't get me wrong, dishes like this are great from time to time - but for me it always comes back to the community food brings, the conversation and respite from the day. Time to sit together and enjoy a good meal. I look forward to sharing these recipes from you and welcome you to submit any that you have for me to test and try. I will certainly share those that are hits with your permission of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment